I’m a writer living in Palo Alto, California. I write for magazines, newspapers, websites and corporate clients. My subjects are technology, culture, parenting and travel.
I’m also the co-author of a book on labor support for birth-partners. You can read more about it by clicking the ‘My book‘ tab above.
To see examples of my writing, check out:
- A rumination on the quality of architecture in Silicon Valley.
- A history of Stanford’s famed research nursery school.
- The story of a failed attempt to find the world’s tallest tree.
- A paean to the virtues of Scooby Doo!
I post ephemeral and often hyper-local musings and photographs over at ValleyDad. You might enjoy:
- A look at Palo Alto’s sorry history of public art.
- Some ideas for spicing up the local restaurant scene.
- Pictures from the Valley and my garden.
- An examination of the dearth of good mensware options in the Valley.
You can also follow my erratic contributions to Twitter.
Until it folded last year, I was a token Dad blogger over at the trail-blazing Silicon Valley Moms’ Blog, where I was known, appropriately, as Simon. If you live in the Bay Area, you may have heard me editorialize on KQED radio.
By training I’m a television producer. I’ve also worked as a professional name-generator, theatrical stage hand and commissioned playwright.
If you want to contact me, try simonfirth at yahoo.com.